This delicious, tender pulled pork is ideal as a filling for tacos, wraps or rolls. It also makes a tasty topping for a baked potato with a dollop of sour cream, or simply enjoy it as is with salad.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 5-6 hours
* 2.5kg leg of pork (Ask the butcher to halve a 5kg leg)
* 75ml olive oil
* 7.5ml salt
* freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 15ml smoked paprika
* 15ml ground cumin
* 15ml mustard powder
* 2 red chillies, chopped
* 30ml brown sugar
* 2 onions, sliced
* 2 carrots, sliced
* 2-3 bay leaves
* 500ml vegetable stock
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern in the pork rind. Mix the olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, mustard powder, chillies and brown sugar in a bowl.
2. Place the onions, carrots and bay leaves in an ovenproof dish and place the leg of pork on top, with the fat-side up. Rub the seasoned olive oil paste on the meat. Pour the vegetable stock around the meat in the dish and cover tightly with foil. Roast in the oven for 4 hours.
3. Remove the foil after 4 hours and return the dish to the oven for a further 1-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Pour the pan juices into a small saucepan and reduce.
4. Remove the rind from the meat and pull the pork apart with two forks. Pour the reduced sauce over the meat and mix it through.
5. To serve Spoon the meat onto ciabatta rolls and top with coleslaw. If preferred, you can add thinly sliced gherkins and/or pomegranate rubies to the salad.