Make baking as easy as pie!
Apple, Brie and pecan nut pies
• 500g all butter frozen puff pastry, thawed
• 1 green apple
• 15ml lemon juice
• 30ml Huletts Castor Sugar
• 125g Brie or Camembert
• 125ml chopped pecan nuts
• egg wash
1. Carefully unroll the pastry and cut into 8 equal-sized squares. Peel and core the apple and cut into thin slices; sprinkle with the lemon juice and 15ml sugar.
2. Paint the edges of the pastry squares with egg wash and divide and place the apples, cheese and nuts in the centre of the pastry squares. Fold diagonally in half and press the edges to seal.
3. Arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush with egg wash and sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top. Extra pecan nuts can be sprinkled over the top if so desired. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 180°C and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. These pastries are delicious served warm.
Free form fruit tart
• 100g (180ml) cake wheat flour
• 2 sachets Huletts EquiSweet
• 30ml desiccated coconut
• pinch of salt
• 62.5g butter
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 small bananas, peeled and sliced
• 200ml gooseberries, halved
1. Mix the flour, sweetener, coconut and salt together. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and knead until a smooth dough is formed.
2. Working on a sheet of baking paper, roll the pastry into a large roughly-shaped rectangle. Top with the fruit, leaving a 3cm edge of pastry around the filling. Grated lemon zest and sweetener can be sprinkled over the tart, if the filling is too tart. Carefully fold the edge of the pastry over the filling (see image). Transfer the tart to a baking tray and bake for 25–30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C until crispy and golden. Serve with Greek yoghurt, fresh mint and coconut shavings.
Tomato-chilli jam tart
• 500ml (280g) cake wheat flour
• 125ml (65g) Huletts Icing Sugar
• pinch of salt
• 200g butter
• 1 egg yolk
• 30–45ml tomato-chilli jam
• fresh basil, for garnish
1. Mix the flour, icing sugar and salt together and rub into the butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and knead until a smooth pastry is formed. Divide the pastry into two equal parts, flatten into disks and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll the pastry into two equal-sized circles. Spread the jam over one circle then place the other circle on top. Slice through the tart (both layers) from the centre outwards without cutting through the middle. Twist each piece of pastry twice while keeping the centre in place with your finger. Repeat with the remaining pastry slices. Press the edges together again. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Serve topped with basil leaves.