Huletts Icing Sugar is the secret ingredient in these yummy bakes.
BASIC BISCUIT DOUGH
This foolproof biscuit recipe forms the basis for the following three Easter treats.
Makes about 24 vanilla biscuits, depending on size
Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus resting time
Baking time: 10–15 minutes per sheet
Oven temperature: 180°C
• 250g butter, soft
• 130g (250ml) Huletts Icing Sugar, sifted
• 1 egg, separated
• 2ml vanilla essence
• 375g (670ml) cake flour, sifted
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and mix well. Add the flour to the creamed mixture, mixing to make a soft, pliable dough. If the mixture seems too dry, add the egg white, a little at a time, and mix to form a soft workable dough. Shape the dough into a flat disc, cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the dough to rest.
2. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes. Place the biscuits on greased baking trays and bake in a preheated oven for about 10–15 minutes until lightly coloured. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
EASTER EGG BISCUITS
• 12 egg-shaped vanilla biscuits
• 12 egg-shaped vanilla biscuits with holes
CHOCOLATE BUTTER ICING
• 150g butter, soft
• 375ml Huletts Chocolate Flavoured Icing Sugar, sifted
1. Beat the butter until light and creamy, while adding the chocolate flavoured icing sugar, a little at a time.
2. Spread the chocolate icing onto the egg-shaped biscuits and top with an egg-shaped biscuit with a hole cut out. For extra decoration use the icing from the bunny biscuits.
GLAZED BUNNY BISCUITS
• 18 bunny-shaped vanilla biscuits
• rainbow sprinkles
• pink vermicelli
• 1 egg white
• about 250ml Huletts Icing Sugar, sifted
1. Beat the egg white until frothy. Add the icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, mixing until the icing reaches piping consistency. If a pink and white icing is desired, divide the icing in two and add a spoonful of Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing Sugar to the one half.
2. Use a piping bag with a small nozzle to decorate the bunny biscuits. Decorate the bunny ears with the rainbow sprinkles and vermicelli before the icing dries. Allow to dry before storing in an airtight container. Tip For strawberry flavoured biscuits, replace the Huletts Icing Sugar in the dough with Huletts Strawberry Flavoured Icing Sugar.
WOVEN HEART BISCUITS
• 1 quantity basic biscuit dough
• 1 more quantity basic biscuit dough but replace the Huletts Icing Sugar with Huletts Chocolate Flavoured Icing Sugar
1. Roll the dough out into two sheets to a thickness of about 5mm. Using a ruler, cut both the vanilla and chocolate dough into 1.5cm strips. Tip Work on baking paper, it iseasier to handle.
2. Weave the two colours into a lattice pattern on a sheet of baking paper. Do this in batches to keep the dough from becoming too soft.
3. Cut out heart shapes and bake for about 15 minutes per tray in a preheated oven at 180°C or until lightly coloured. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.