Inspired by our various reclaim projects, intrepid reader Marilize Spies breathes new life into old pieces of furniture. We showcase the first in a series.
With a bit of creativity and tender loving care, Marilize turned her old ball-and-claw chair into a stunning side table, perfect for outdoor use.
Here’s how Marilize did it
- Removed old paint using sandpaper.
- Removed the seat by simply lifting it out.
- Painted the chair in French Jewel from Plascon (Polvin) and left it to dry.
- Then protected it with a sealer such as Harlequin’s.
- Took the measurements of the inside of the chair to create a new base to work on.
- Cut a piece of hardboard to size and glued it into the chair.
- A fresh coat of paint and a creative turn with mosaic give this old chair a new lease on life as a side table.
For the mosaic
You can create any pattern you like using old china. Draw inspiration from Marilize’s tasteful mosaic creation.
- Choose the plate you want to mosaic and put it in a plastic bag.
- Use a hammer to break the plate into pieces.
- Glue the pieces to the hardboard to create the mosaic of your choice. Marilize recreated a place setting for one, using a dinner plate and cutlery set.
- Once you’ve glued the pieces down, you need to grout. Follow the instructions on the packaging to prepare the grout.
- Use the prepared grout to fill the spaces between the pieces you have glued down.
- Remove excess grout with a wet cloth and leave to dry.
- Once dry, seal your mosaic artwork with a grout sealer.