Your bedroom is your personal sanctuary, so adorn it with the necessary splendour to make you feel like royalty when you put your head down.
This elegant yet relaxed look is achieved by combining quality, eclectic furniture in subtle colours. Use colour sparingly – stick to whites, off-whites, neutrals and wood for walls, floors and décor pieces. Also go for a few big furniture pieces that make a statement rather than cluttering the room with smaller items. Group ornaments on tabletops or on top of armoires to limit clutter.
Create a look where husband and wife both feel at ease. Incorporate masculine elements like blinds, dark wallpaper and dark wooden furniture with straight lines, such as the contemporary platform bed. Soften these items with chiffon curtains over the blinds, feminine patterns on the wallpaper and a tufted velvet panel on the headboard. The result is a chic, sensual and not overtly masculine or feminine room.
Proteas, aloes and driftwood give this contemporary bedroom a truly South African touch. Shades of white combined with earthy textures keep the bedroom modern without feeling sterile. The upholstered bed base with a small platform adds an elegant touch.
Tips for Sweet Dreams
- Dress your bed with layer upon layer of various textured materials in matching shades.
- Swop your duvet for quality linen in natural materials, old-fashion blankets and bedspreads in luxurious fabrics for an elegant look.
- Look out for 300 thread count Sateen cotton percale, which is 100% cotton with a silky feel.
- Give a headboard a seasonal change by covering it with a slipcover that fits over the existing panels.
- Save money by making your own headboard: simply stick vinyl panels onto the wall – or simply paint one on.
- Choose accessories such as bedside tables, loose rugs and bedlamps that complement the rest of the room.